Your Member Guide to the Academy
Welcome to the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University!
As a member of the Academy, you have free year-round general admission to the museum, where you’ll see some of the most surprising and spectacular wonders of the natural world. There is so much you can do with your membership!
While you enjoy all of your member benefits throughout the year, you are also providing important support for the Academy’s world-renowned research in biodiversity and environmental science. We appreciate your support and hope you visit us often.
This guide is designed to help you make the most of your membership. If you have any questions regarding your membership, please contact the Membership Department at 215-299-1022 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning Your Visit
The Academy is located right in the heart of Philadelphia’s museum district, at the corner of 19th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. See Directions and Parking for more information.
The Academy is open Wednesday–Sunday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. (9–10 a.m. is reserved for Academy members only)
Outside In is open Wednesday–Sunday, 9:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day
Members receive parking discounts at the Logan Square Garage at 1815 Cherry Street. For a sustainable and touchless parking experience, please download the iParkit App and sign up for their Express Hourly Parking (no reservations necessary). Use program code ACADMBR001 and your membership ID to register and you will receive an additional 20% off your first five uses. This discount applies to other parking garages throughout the city of Philadelphia. Members may also use the map below to purchase parking in advance. See your membership welcome email for additional information or contact the membership department at 215-299-1022 or email@example.com for assistance.
The prices reflected in the map below are the discounted rates. Click the magnifying glass and select the date and time of your visit.
The Membership Department can be reached Monday through Friday, 9 am–5 pm, at 215-299-1022 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with any of the following:
- Benefits information
- Change of address or membership information
- Replacement member cards
- Renewing or upgrading your membership
- Other questions regarding your membership or member events
Other Academy Contacts
General Museum Information: 215-299-1000
Birthday Parties: 215-299-1060
Donations to the Academy: 215-299-1122
Event and Facility Rentals: 215-299-1047
Program Registration, including camps: 215-299-1060
Volunteer Office: 215-299-1029
A Guide to Your Benefits
All members receive the following list of general member benefits plus any additional benefits that are included with your membership level. Please check back for updates!
Please note that Family and Family Plus memberships cannot be used by school groups or preschools. Museum Passes may be purchased for groups of this kind.
- Free General Admission to the Museum
- Members of the Academy always get free general admission to the museum! Just show the admissions desk representative your member card. Don’t have your member card? Simply provide a valid photo ID and our representatives will validate your membership.
- Free or Discounted Tickets to Special Exhibits
- Members receive free admission to Permian Monsters (November 21, 2020–January 17, 2022) and Invisible World of Water (November 13, 2021–April 17, 2022).
- Exclusive Previews of Academy Exhibits
- Members have the opportunity to see our exhibits before anyone else! Look for invitations throughout the year to special events and exhibit openings.
- Free Admission to Academy Festivals
- Members always get free admission to our exciting festivals, like Paleopalooza and Bug Fest! Simply bring your member card and/or a valid photo ID to check in and enjoy the day.
- Behind-the-Scenes Access
- Every year, members of the Academy are treated to a special Members’ Night where they can meet our staff, see the collections and experience the breadth and depth of work that takes place behind the scenes.
- Special Members-only Program Discounts
- Members receive special discounts on Academy programming, including Family Programs and Adult Programs.
- Discounts in the Academy Shop
- Enjoy a 10 percent discount in the Academy Shop. Located next to our front desk entrance, the Academy Shop offers a wide variety of nature-inspired items for all ages, including educational toys and activity kits, a wide selection of books and field guides, real fossils and minerals, distinctive jewelry, and Academy-exclusive items. Every purchase made in our shop supports the Academy’s ongoing research activities and educational efforts.
- Academy Kids Club*
- If your children like learning about the natural world, they’ll love being members of the Academy Kids Club! The Kids Club is an exciting free member benefit just for kids ages 12 and under. Experience the Academy in a whole new way. Sign up online.
- *This membership benefit is for Family level members and above. Call the Membership Office to upgrade your membership and take advantage of this membership benefit.
- Add One Extra Adult to Your Membership
- Academy memberships are nontransferable. Any adult using a member card to gain entrance into the museum must be listed on the member card. Now you can add your nanny, babysitter, family member or friend to your membership for just $20 extra per year. The person you add does not need to be part of your household and will receive their own membership card. You can make this addition to your membership at the admissions desk on your next visit or by calling the Membership Office at 215-299-1022. Limit one extra adult per membership.
- Discounted Guest Passes
- Members may purchase discounted admission for their guests on the day of their visit or discounted guest passes in advance of the guest’s visit. Members do not need to accompany guests who use guest passes. Members may purchase guest admission or guest passes at the discounted rate of $11 each at the admissions desk on your next visit.
- Free Admission to More Great Science and Technology Centers*
- Family Plus level Academy members and above are entitled to free admission to more than 300 science and technology centers throughout the world through the Association of Science -Technology Centers (ASTC) Passport Program. Download a list of museums worldwide that participate in the ASTC Passport Program.
- Please note that science centers or museums located within a 90-mile radius of each other are usually excluded from the Passport Program. However, we have reciprocal admission agreements with some great museums within 90 miles of the Academy. These museums can be found in the upper right corner of the downloadable ASTC list above.
- *This membership benefit is for Family Plus level members and above. Call the Membership Office to upgrade your membership and take advantage of this membership benefit.
Other Important Information
Email and Online Information
Keep informed with the most up-to-date information about events and other important Academy news by signing up to receive emails and our monthly e-newsletter. If you do not currently receive member email updates, sign up today. Don’t forget to indicate your preferences so that we can keep you updated about programs and topics that are relevant to you. Member email addresses are not released for solicitation purposes.
More than 400 volunteers of all ages contribute their time each year to further the Academy’s mission. We have volunteer opportunities in museum exhibits, administrative support, environmental programs, library support and scientific research assistance. We also have opportunities for children to participate through family volunteering. View our full list of current volunteer opportunities, or call the Volunteer Office directly at 215-299-1029.
Give the gift of discovery to friends or family by purchasing a gift membership to the Academy! As a member of the Academy, your gift recipient will get 12 months of unlimited free admission to the Academy and special exhibits throughout the year. The Academy of Natural Sciences is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, and your gift of membership purchase is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. You can buy your gift online or by calling the Membership Office at 215-299-1022.
Frequently Asked Questions
- As an Academy member, do I need to reserve a timed ticket?
- There is no need for Academy members to make reservations in advance. This applies to both general admission and special exhibits. Simply arrive at our admissions desk and present your membership card and/or a valid photo ID in order to receive your free admission.
- How can I purchase special exhibit tickets using my member discount?
- Currently, Academy members at all membership levels receive free admission to our special exhibits.
- Do I need to wear a face covering?
- Yes, masks are required for all museum visitors, ages 3 and up. Academy staff and volunteers are also required to wear masks. The Academy is committed to the health and safety of our members, visitors, staff and volunteers. Learn more about the health and safety protocols currently in place.
- Can my nanny/babysitter/sister/parent use my member card to get into the museum?
- Academy memberships are nontransferable. Any adult using a member card to gain entrance into the museum must be listed on the member card. You may add an extra adult onto your membership for $20. You may make this addition on your next trip to the museum or by calling the Membership Office at 215-299-1022.
- Is my membership tax-deductible?
- Yes. The Academy of Natural Sciences is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, and as such all contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Individual and Family memberships are 100 percent tax-deductible. Family Plus memberships, Premier Level memberships and Leadership Circle memberships are partially tax-deductible. Your receipt will contain the estimated tax-deductible portion of your membership dues payment. For more information about the tax benefits of your membership contribution, please contact the Office of Institutional Advancement at 215-299-1122 or email@example.com.
- Can I upgrade my membership during the year?
- Absolutely. You may upgrade your membership at any time by simply paying the difference between your current membership level and the level to which you would like to upgrade. Upgrade at the admissions desk on your next visit, by calling 215-299-1022, or clicking here to upgrade online.
- Can I still get into the museum if I forget my membership card?
- Yes. Simply provide a valid photo ID and our representatives will validate your membership.
- How do I get a replacement membership card?
- If you need to request a replacement membership card, please call the Membership Office at 215-299-1022 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I’m organizing a drawing or silent auction. How can I request a donation from the Academy?
- We process all donation requests through an online form. Please submit your request at ansp.requestitem.com and we will make every effort to fulfill it.
Thank you for your support of the Academy!