Door 19: Skeletons in our Closet
Thursday, October 18, 2018
6:00 PM-9:00 PM
Knock 3.14159 times on Door 19 for admission to an oddly charming evening that will forever change how you think about science. Curated for the curious, Door 19 is quirky science meets themed soiree, set against a backdrop of live performances, music, potent libations, and dinosaurs.
For only four nights this year, you will have the chance to go beyond the galleries and into specimen collections off-limits to visitors, alongside experts who will bring our coolest specimens out to play. Our rogue scientists will go a little bit off script to share their most incredible knowledge—from prohibition-era mixology to dinosaur foreplay. You’ll be reminded that no, in fact, you haven’t seen it all—far from it.
Door 19: Skeletons in our Closet is presented in partnership with Eight Oaks Craft Distillers and 12th St Catering
This October, we are pulling out the skeletons in our closets—literally! What could be spookier than the strangest stories, the eeriest objects and the baffling-est bone collections, all with a drink in your hand? Come in costume (or come as you are); prizes will be given to a few of our favorites. It will be a super-naturally awesome evening!
- Warm up at our open bar featuring Eight Oaks Craft Distillers
- Take enchanting behind-the-scenes tours of our Paleontology and Mammalogy collections—included with your ticket price
- Make a gorgeously creepy bone-filled pendant from an owl pellet you dissect yourself
- Practice your surgery skills at an Operation tournament to win prizes and the admiration of your friends
- Ask, “What the heck is that?” while you explore the strangest specimens we could dig up
- Discover the weird science behind the jackalope, and build your own fantastic beast
- Enjoy an ethereal performance by the Divine Hand Ensemble, and then learn how to play the theremin, the world’s first electrical instrument (Star Trek fans, take note!)
- Meet our freaky friends from the Mütter Museum of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. See some amazing specimens from their collection, and learn how to tell a male human from a female human just by looking at their skulls
- Learn how you can help prevent endangered species from becoming extinct species in an unexpected way—by having safe sex—from our playful partners at the Center for Biological Diversity
- Investigate your inner fish and discover what bones are shared among vertebrates
- Peruse and purchase the weird, wonderful, work-of-art jewelry from Sculptlerybones
- Try to detect the ghost in the machine by exploring the bare bones of a common computer
- Stand in the shadow of giants (dinosaurs, that is) and talk to our most engaging fossil experts as you try to piece together the remains of the past
- See giant bugs come to life in our special exhibit, Xtreme Bugs
- Eat great food from our exclusive caterer, 12th St. Catering (Vegetarian options available)
- And…did we mention the open bar?
Sept 4 – Sept 26 $65 Public/$55 Members/$60 Drexel Alumni and Mutter Museum Members
Sept. 27 – Oct. 10 $75 Public/$65 Members/$65 Drexel Alumni and Mutter Museum Members
Oct. 11 – Oct. 17 $85 Public/$65 Members/$65 Drexel Alumni and Mutter Museum Members
Click here to purchase tickets!