The Academy of Natural Sciences Announces Monthly Discount Days in Honor of Its Bicentennial
March 22, 2012
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University today announced special monthly discount days in honor of its yearlong Bicentennial.
On the 21st of each month, the Academy will offer two-for-the price-of-one admission. The discount offer begins April 21 and ends March 21, 2013.Regular admission is $15 for adults; $13 for children 3 through 12, seniors, college students, and military personnel; and free for members and children under 3.
Why the 21st of each month? It was on March 21, 1812, that the Academy was founded by seven naturalists. Two centuries later, the Academy is the nation’s oldest natural history museum and a world leader in biodiversity and environmental research.
On March 24, the Academy will kick off a yearlong celebration featuring:
- A major new exhibition called The Academy at 200: The Nature of Discovery.
- New behind-the-scenes tours of its world-renowned collections of 18 million animals and plants.
- Publication of the first complete history of the Academy, A Glorious Enterprise: The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia and the Making of American Science, by Academy Curator of Art and Artifacts Robert McCracken Peck and historical biographer Patricia Tyson Stroud.
- Bicentennial Weekend, Saturday and Sunday, March 24 and 25, with fun hands-on activities, music, games, crafts, an amazing multimedialight show and, of course, birthday cake.
- Monthly themed museum programs and giveaways.