Door 19: Boozy Botanicals for Adults Only, June 14
Quirky science, behind-the-scenes tours, libations and jazz.
May 9, 2018
In an era when Prohibition was law and bathtub gin was king, the sweet aromas of botanicals often veiled the taste of bad booze. On Thursday, June 14, the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University presents the third in a series of Door 19 adults-only nights, this one inspired by the flora and fauna of the Roaring 20s and the museum’s world-renowned specimen collections.
The theme is Boozy Botanicals and features an open bar by partner Boardroom Spirits Distillery, live jazz, adult activities, and exclusive behind-the-scenes tours of the Academy’s Botany and Entomology collections. The event runs 6-9 p.m. and party-goers are encouraged to wear flapper dresses, fedoras or whatever they want for the Roaring 20s theme.
The Academy created Door 19 as an oddly charming evening that will forever change how people think about science. Curated for the curious, Door 19 is quirky science meets themed soiree, set against a backdrop of live performances, music, potent libations, and dinosaurs. There are only four Door 19s happening in 2018 and the fourth takes place in October.
On June 14, besides the open bar, dinner by 12th Street Catering, and specimen collection tours by Academy scientists, participants can:
- Explore how plants and insects are critical to your favorite evening libations
- Make an herbal tincture to take home with the help of Greensgrow Farm's and an herbalist.
- Make (and taste) botanical simple syrups from herbs with the help of Urbanstead
- Dare to try some tasty bug treats
- Identify a ladybug and have your name preserved for centuries on a ladybug specimen.
- Get up close and personal with live bugs, including tarantulas
- See giant bugs come to life in our special exhibit, Xtreme Bugs
- Enjoy live jazz with saxophonist Victor North and vocalist Meg Clifton North.
Tickets are $75 through May 29, $85 May 30–June 11. Discounts for Academy members, Mutter Museum members and Drexel University alumni. For more information and to register, visit http://ansp.org/programs-and-events/adult-programs/door19/
For an image, visit the Press Room.