Evening soirée featuring quirky science, potent libations, off-script tours, and more
Knock 3.14159 times on Door 19 for admission to an oddly charming evening that will forever change how you think about science. Curated for the curious, Door 19 is quirky science meets themed soiree, set against a backdrop of live performances, music, potent libations, and dinosaurs.
For only four nights this year, you will have the chance to go beyond the galleries and into specimen collections off-limits to visitors, alongside experts who will bring our coolest specimens out to play. Our rogue scientists will go a little bit off script to share their most incredible knowledge—from prohibition-era mixology to dinosaur foreplay. You’ll be reminded that no, in fact, you haven’t seen it all—far from it.
The Mating Game
Thursday, Feb. 8, 2018
In partnership with 8 Oaks Distillery and 12th St. Catering
Must be 21 or over to attend
All living things do it—but sometimes it seems that the wild kingdom does it a bit weirder than humans do. We’ll be featuring museum specimens and live animals to reveal unique courtship rituals, dinosaur foreplay, and other sexy secrets of the animal world.
- Warm up at our open bar featuring Eight Oaks Craft Distillers
- Sing, dance, or watch your friends attempt to imitate mating calls and courtship dances from the animal kingdom
- Go on a “blind date” in our diorama and dino halls
- “Ask the Sexpert”—we know you want to!
- Take a seriously amazing behind-the-scenes tours of our sexiest collections with premium ticket purchase
- Listen to live acoustic duets from husband and wife duo Pilar and Eric Rivera
- Eat great food from our exclusive caterer, 12th St. Catering
- Did we mention the open bar?
Premium Tickets are available for behind-the-scenes tours of our natural history collections featuring bodacious birds and those surprisingly sexy beasts, the diatoms. Tours start at 6 p.m. and are limited in space, so sign up early.
Tickets on sale December 19! Book early—sellout is likely!
Save $15 when you purchase tickets by January 31!
Academy members can save an additional $10 per ticket!
Wait, there’s more! Door 19 is a series of four events each year. Here are the dates and topics for 2018:
- Thursday, February 8: The Mating Game, in partnership with Eight Oaks Craft Distillers
- Thursday, April 12: Off The Hook, in partnership with Flying Fish Brewing Co.
- Thursday, June 14: Boozy Botanicals, in partnership with Boardroom Spirits Distillery
- Thursday, October 18: Skeletons in our Closet, in partnership with Eight Oaks Craft Distillers