Animal Superheroes Weekend
March 14, 2016
How much do the superheroes of the animal kingdom inspire the superheroes and supervillains of comic books and movies? Find out at Animal Superhero Weekend, Saturday and Sunday, April 2 and 3, at the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University.
From Spider-Man to Catwoman, animals influence some of our favorite characters. With the release of the “Batman v Superman” movie, now’s the time to explore the real-life super abilities of animals of all kinds.
Animal Superhero Weekend features specially themed live animal shows, fun family activities, crafts and more. The event is free with regular museum admission. Visitors who wear a costume get $2 off at the door. Those who purchase tickets online at ansp.org and plan to wear a costume get $2 off with the code COSTUME.
The following activities take place both Saturday and Sunday:
- 11 a.m. Animals With Bad Reputations Show There would be no good guys without the bad guys. But are some animal “villains” really so bad? Get to know the Academy’s sometimes misunderstood live animals and discover how they might not be the bad guys after all.
- 1 p.m. Bugs on the Big Screen: Superhero Edition Show Many of the most beloved superheroes are based on real bugs. Check out some awesome arachnids or cool cockroaches in this technology-enabled live show.
- 2 p.m. Superhero Training Camp
Join the Academy’s superhero animals as they hone their strength and agility as well as practice their foraging, climbing, and problem-solving skills. Meet a live mammal or reptile during this interactive presentation with an Academy animal keeper.
- 3 p.m. Super Animals, Super Skills Show What makes our animals real-life superheroes? Their super skills! Learn about amazing adaptations such as super-sight, super-strength and super-intelligence as you meet some furry, feathery, and scaly Academy ambassadors.
- Animal Inspirations Station Batman. Catwoman. Black Widow. Dr. Octopus. Learn about the real-life animals that inspire favorite superhero and supervillain characters. Touch real pelts, skulls, and teeth.
- Super Strength Station
Test your own strength, sight, and speed against the abilities of nature’s own superheroes.
- Animal Superhero Craft
Make and take a superhero cape, decorated with your favorite super animals.
- “My Spidey Sense Is Tingling” MicroScope Cart
Use cutting-edge technology to explore spider webs, fangs and other spidey senses to celebrate the amazing Spider-Man.
- In Tarantulas: Alive and Up Close exhibit, there will be a short presentation at 11:45 a.m. by an Academy educator featuring a live tarantula. The talk is included in the admission fee to the exhibit.