Evening soirée featuring quirky science, potent libations, off-script tours, and more
Knock 3.14159 times on Door 19 for admission to an oddly charming evening that will forever change how you think about science. Curated for the curious, Door 19 is quirky science meets themed soiree, set against a backdrop of live performances, music, potent libations, and dinosaurs.
For only four nights this year, you will have the chance to go beyond the galleries and into specimen collections off-limits to visitors, alongside experts who will bring our coolest specimens out to play. Our rogue scientists will go a little bit off script to share their most incredible knowledge—from creepy taxidermy to medicinal botanicals. You’ll be reminded that no, in fact, you haven’t seen it all—far from it.
Door 19: Renais-Science Faire
Thursday, February 21, 6–9:30 p.m.
Hear ye, hear ye! Let the (science) faire begin! Enjoy an enchanting evening of myths and legends against a backdrop of science and inquiry. Come in costume or come as you as you are. It’s going to be a knight to remember!
- Warm up with some grog at the tavern (well, open bar)
- Marvel at sea monsters and explore ancient tomes behind the scenes in our Ichthyology and Archives collections
- Enjoy a charmingly un-contemporary performance by Rondelay, Philadelphia's talented musical minstrels
- Share a selfie with a pirate
- Dissect a kraken and use its ink to write a special message
- Meet living armored beasts and cheer them on as they joust for glory
- Separate fact from fiction and investigate specimens of dragons, cyclops and bigfoots (bigfeet?)
- Consult with the Academy beastmaster and get close to the wild creatures she tames
- Have your fortune foretold with a “professional” tea leaf reading
- Mash up actual animals to make magic myths
- Peruse and purchase the lovely arts and crafts of Shira Greenfield
- Find out if unicorns are real in our special exhibit, Mythic Creatures (don’t worry, they are)
- Stand in the shadow of dragons (dinosaurs, that is) and talk to our most engaging fossil experts as you piece together the remains of the past
- Eat great food from our exclusive caterer, 12th St. Catering (vegetarian options available)
- And … did we mention the open bar?
Through February 6 - $65 Public/$55 Members/$60 Drexel Alumni
February 7–February 14 - $75 Public/$65 Members/$65 Drexel Alumni
February 15–February 21 - $85 Public/$65 Members/$65 Drexel Alumni
Door 19 is a series of four events each year. Here are the dates and topics for 2019:
- Thursday, February 21: Renais-Science Faire
- Thursday, April 11: Clams Casino Royale
- Thursday, June 13: Traditional Medicinals
- Thursday, October 24: Death and Taxidermy