Evening soirée featuring quirky science, potent libations, off-script tours, and more
Knock 3.14159 times on Door 19 for admission to an oddly charming evening that will forever change how you think about science. Curated for the curious, Door 19 is quirky science meets themed soiree, set against a backdrop of live performances, music, potent libations, and dinosaurs.
For only four nights this year, you will have the chance to go beyond the galleries and into specimen collections off-limits to visitors, alongside experts who will bring our coolest specimens out to play. Our rogue scientists will go a little bit off script to share their most incredible knowledge—from creepy taxidermy to medicinal botanicals. You’ll be reminded that no, in fact, you haven’t seen it all—far from it.
Door 19: Clams Casino Royale
Thursday, April 11, 2019, 6–9:30 p.m.
For Your Eyes Only: An evening of science and inquiry with a martini (shaken, not stirred) in your hand. Bring 007 of your friends and register soon; tomorrow never dies but the early-bird discount does. Throw on a tuxedo t-shirt or rent the real deal, and get ready to spy on some fun!
- Get shaken AND stirred at the open bar
- Sneak a secret peek at the specimens of the REAL James Bond or fictional Bond Girl Honey Ryder behind the scenes in our Ornithology and Malacology collections
- Enjoy the sultry vocals of Meg North and the Victor North Trio
- Get as close as you dare to nature’s assassins
- Discover why spy tech experts are turning to geckos for inspiration
- Shoot some “craps” and learn about scat identification
- Try a little target practice with a twist
- Assign yourself a cheeky animal code name
- Be seduced by the heat of the Butterflies! exhibit
- Test your movie acumen with spy flick science trivia
- Eat great food from our exclusive caterer, 12th St. Catering (vegetarian options available)
- And … did we mention the open bar?
February 22–March 19: $65 Public/$55 Members/$60 Drexel Alumni
March 20–April 2: $75 Public/$65 Members/$65 Drexel Alumni
April 3–April 10: $85 Public/$65 Members/$65 Drexel Alumni
Door 19 is a series of four events each year. Here are the dates and topics for 2019:
Thursday, February 21: Renais-Science Faire
- Thursday, April 11: Clams Casino Royale
- Thursday, June 13: Traditional Medicinals
- Thursday, October 24: Death and Taxidermy