Evening soirée featuring quirky science, potent libations, off-script tours, and more
Knock 3.14159 times on Door 19 for admission to an oddly charming evening that will forever change how you think about science. Curated for the curious, Door 19 is quirky science meets themed soiree, set against a backdrop of live performances, music, potent libations, and dinosaurs.
For only three nights this year, you will have the chance to go beyond the galleries and into specimen collections off-limits to visitors, alongside experts who will bring our coolest specimens out to play. Our rogue scientists will go a little bit off script to share their most incredible knowledge—from creepy taxidermy to medicinal botanicals. You’ll be reminded that no, in fact, you haven’t seen it all—far from it.
Door 19: Sippin’ With Sloths (SOLD OUT)
Thursday, February 27, 2020, 6–9 p.m.
Slam the brakes, slow your roll and slide on over to the Academy: real sloths are coming for an adults-only cocktail party.
Sloths are trendy and tre cool, and for good reason — any animal that is so relaxed that algae grows on its back is pretty much the coolest creature in the trees. At “Door 19: Sipping with Sloths,” explore the unexpected adaptations that give living things (like sloths) an edge, from slowness to senescence. Take a rare chance to scope out the million specimens in our largest collection, or pull out some drawers to study skins behind the scenes. Learn what the “slow food movement” really means, take action by getting some with conservation condoms and cheer on your favorite competitor in the tortoise and the hare race. Dress to impress (sloths are very distinguished!) or come as you are for an offbeat evening with live music, fabulous food and an open bar.
- Take a peek at rare sloth specimens from the ice age to today
- Meet the Academy’s LIVE Animal Ambassadors
- Visit a LIVE two toed sloth (that may even venture from its enclosure from time to time)
- See the strangest slides from the Diatom Herbarium or the weirdest specimens in the Mammalogy Collection
- Bring your dancing shoes to cut a rug with live music
- Discover who is really faster, the tortoise or the hare
- Taste slow food with Slow Food Philly and find out what happens when you digest the best that nature has to offer
- Learn how being the fastest might slow you down or how being the biggest has the smallest payoff
- Get romantic with the crafty conservationists from Endangered Species Condoms
- Snack on savory and sweet treats from our exclusive caterer, 12th Street Catering (vegetarian options available)
- And … did we mention the open bar?
November 1–February 11 - $65 Public/$55 Members/$60 Drexel Alumni
February 12–February 18 - $75 Public/$65 Members/$65 Drexel Alumni
February 19–February 27 - $85 Public/$65 Members/$65 Drexel Alumni
Door 19 is a series of three events each year. Here are the dates and topics for 2020:
- Thursday, February 27: Sippin’ with Sloths
- Thursday, June 11: Megabad Movie Celebration
- Thursday, October 29: Monster Mash