Door 19: Traditional Medicinals
Thursday, June 13, 2019
6:00 PM-9:00 PM
Get high on science and nature during an adults-only evening at the Academy of Natural Sciences. Mellow out with us under the light of the lava lamp as we take a (legal) look at the interplay of plants and people. Dig out your tie-dye t-shirt and birks for a night of far-out fun with a side of serious science. Flower power!
- Enjoy the fruits of fermentation at the open bar
- Go green in our world-renowned Botany Collection or experience the power of "healing" crystals in our rarely opened Mineral Vault
- Move to the groovy live tunes of Pilar and Eric Rivera
- Make and take your own herbal cough drops and learn about the history of medicine and candy with Philadelphia’s famous Shane Confectionery
- Taste chocolate and learn about the therapeutic benefits of eating it every day (hooray!)
- Meet the far-out farmers and mushroom enthusiasts from Mycopolitan
- Investigate the industrial side of cannabis agriculture and learn the history of hemp
- Strive for sustainability with unexpected plant-based products
- Enjoy the plant life in the Butterflies! exhibit
- Satisfy your munchies with great food from our exclusive caterer, 12th St. Catering (vegetarian options available)
- And … did we mention the open bar?
April 12–May 29 - $65 Public/$55 Members/$60 Drexel Alumni
May 30–June 4 - $75 Public/$65 Members/$65 Drexel Alumni
June 5–June 13 - $85 Public/$65 Members/$65 Drexel Alumni
Click here to purchase tickets.
Knock 3.14159 times on Door 19 for admission to an oddly charming evening that will forever change how you think about science. Curated for the curious, Door 19 is quirky science meets themed soiree, set against a backdrop of live performances, music, potent libations, and dinosaurs.
For only four nights this year, you will have the chance to go beyond the galleries and into specimen collections off-limits to visitors, alongside experts who will bring our coolest specimens out to play. Our rogue scientists will go a little bit off script to share their most incredible knowledge—from creepy taxidermy to medicinal botanicals. You’ll be reminded that no, in fact, you haven’t seen it all—far from it.
Door 19 is a series of four events each year. Here are the dates and topics for 2019:
Thursday, February 21: Renais-Science Faire
Thursday, April 11: Clams Casino Royale
- Thursday, June 13: Traditional Medicinals
- Thursday, October 24: Death and Taxidermy