Real Science is real fun…
all summer long!
Academy Explorers Camp invites campers, ages 5-12, to learn about natural science in a safe, fun, and engaging way. Each week of camp explores an exciting new theme and features an off-site field trip! From fossils to our extreme earth to amazing animals, check out our camp themes to find the best fit for your child’s interests.
Spring Break Explorers Camp runs April 10–14!
Parents with younger children may want to consider Tiny Tot Explorers, a program for children ages 3–5.
For teens 13–16, check out our Teen Husbandry Program.
Weekly Camp Themes for 2017
Click here to download the 2017 Camp Brochure
- Superhero Science (July 5–7)
- Explore the science behind superheroes and study the animals that inspired them. Learn to bend water, use magnetism, and levitate!
- Digging Dinosaurs (July 10–14)
- Discover what it’s like to be a paleontologist. Create your very own dig kit, dig into dinosaur mysteries, solve paleo-puzzles, and get your hands on real fossils. Take a field trip to collect (and take home) real fossils!
- Dinosaur Discovery (July 17–21)
- Travel back in time to explore the world during the Mesozoic Era. Discover how the dinosaurs survived on Earth for 175 million years, design your own dinosaur feathers, and learn about the dinosaurs that are still alive today! Take a field trip to meet some live dinosaur cousins in their modern-day homes!
- Animals Alive (July 24–28)
- Find your new favorite animal as you get to know live reptiles, mammals, birds, amphibians, and even invertebrates during this animal-mazing week! Investigate animals from all over the world and discover how they survive in the wild. Take a field trip to meet live animals from all over the world!
- Animal Antics (July 31–August 4)
- Go wild and see if you can keep up with the Academy’s live animals! Befriend a parrot, help feed a tortoise, race a rat, and learn how you can help animals at the Academy and all around the world. Take a field trip to meet extraordinary live animals and the people that care for them!
- Dinosaur Detectives (August 7–11)
- Go on a paleo-adventure! Uncover the clues of the past using real fossils and then imagine your own unique dinosaur to display in Dinosaur Hall. Take a field trip to collect (and take home) real fossils!
- Extraordinary Insects (August 14–18)
- Awesome animals come in small (and spiky and wiggly and beautiful) packages! Travel the route of the Monarch butterfly, create a prehistoric dragonfly, and get up close with live Academy invertebrates! Take a field trip to find insects during the ultimate nature hike.
- Dino-rama (August 21–25)
- Uncover the secret lives of dinosaurs and explore the world 65 million years ago. Learn about brand new dinosaur discoveries, build a Jurassic habitat, run in our Maiasaura marathon, and play a giant game of Tic-Tac-Triceratops! Take a field trip to look even more deeply at dinosaurs and the super scientists who study them.
- Outdoor Adventures (August 28–September 1)
- Visit the food web pond, get an insect’s eye view, play a game of grass-hoppers, and create your very own mud pie. Learn that there is more to the outside than you could have ever imagined! Take a field trip to go outside and get dirty!
The Academy is conveniently located right in the heart of Center City, making pickup and drop-off a breeze for those who live (and work) in and around Philadelphia.
Registering is easy!
Register online by clicking the button below.
- Download the Registration Form. For each camper, please clearly and completely fill out the registration form, medical form, and permission and release form. Remember to sign each form. A Parent’s Guide is also available for download.
- Submit your registration and payment. All Academy Explorers registrations must be accompanied by a nonrefundable $100 deposit per week registered. Deposit does not apply to Tiny Tot registrations. Balance in full is due by Friday, June 16, 2017. You may submit your registration over the phone or by mail:
- By Phone: Call our Reservations Office at 215-299-1060 to pay with a credit card. You will then be asked to fax your completed forms to 215-405-1551.
- By Mail: Send the completed forms with a check made out to the Academy of Natural Sciences to:
Academy Explorers Camp
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Return registration forms no later than Monday, June 26, 2017. Children will not be permitted at camp without a signed Medical, Permission, and Release form. Click the links below to print Academy Explorers Camp forms for 2017.
- Upon completion of your registration, you will receive additional information about camp as well as instructions for paying any balances.
- In the event of a registration cancellation, no refunds will be given after June 16, 2017. Prior to June 16, 2017, refunds may be given at the discretion of the Camp Coordinator.
If you have any questions about the registration process, please call 215-299-1060. For general questions, please contact Christine Danowsky at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-299-3798.
- Members pay $320 per camper per weekly session.
- Nonmembers pay $360 per camper per weekly session.
- Before-care (8–9 am) is $50 per camper per weekly session.
- After-care (4–5:30 pm) is $50 per camper per weekly session.
- Early-bird Discount: Register BEFORE April 17 and receive $25 off each week of summer camp you purchase per child. (Early-bird Discount does not apply to Tiny Tot Explorers or Teen Camp and cannot be combined with additional discounts.)
- Academy members save even more!
- If you are interested in becoming a member of the Academy, check out our membership information or call us at 215-299-1022.
- SCOP Scholarships -
- A small number of scholarships are available through the generosity of SCOP (Support Community Outreach Program). Check back for more information.
- Registration Form for Summer Academy Explorers Camp 2017
Parents Guide for Summer Academy Explorers Camp 2017
2017 Camp Brochure