Real Science is real fun…
all summer long!
Academy Explorers Families:
All camper families are invited to a special Safari Overnight at the Academy on Saturday, September 7. (This is a change, please update the date on your calendar.)
The campers-and their families- take over the museum for a whole night. Explore the museum after hours, play games, meet some of the residents of the Live Animal Center, and sleep next to lions, bears, or even Tyrannosaurus rex! Campers will get the opportunity to share with their families the discoveries they made each day during their time at camp.
The Campers-only Overnight will begin at 7:00 pm. We will provide a light snack, and there will have activities for our campers and their families until 11:00pm. You are then invited to spend the night at the museum. Breakfast is provided the following morning.
If you would like to register or change your reservation, please give us a call at 215-405-5061 or email at email@example.com. Upon receiving your reservation, you will be sent information about the evening.
Academy Explorers Camp invites campers to learn about natural science in a safe, fun, and engaging way. Each week of camp explores an exciting new theme and features an off-site field trip! From fossils to our extreme earth to amazing animals, check out our camp themes to find the best fit for your child’s interests.
You may also be interested in this year’s Spring-Break Academy Explorers Camp, which runs from March 20–April 12, 2013. Parents with younger children may want to consider Tiny Tot Explorers, a program for children ages 3–5.
Weekly Camp Themes
- Magnificent Mammals (July 8–12)
- Let the fur fly as you discover what makes mammals so special. Spend some quality time with the furry residents of the Live Animal Center.
- Diggin' Dinosaurs (July 15–19)
- Use fossils to get up close and personal with dinosaurs, and learn more about what our planet was like when they were alive.
- Inside Out (July 22–26)
- Discover what makes animals (including you) tick, and figure out how bones, organs, blood, and guts work together.
- Ancient Animals (July 29–August 2)
- Travel back in time to the world of long-extinct beasts. Meet some of the critters that shared their homes with the dinosaurs.
- Sea Monsters (August 5–9)
- Dive in and investigate the undersea home of some weird and wonderful creatures––the glowing, gliding, and gigantic monsters of the sea!
- Buzzin' Bugs (August 12–16)
- Take to the air with the animal kingdom’s smallest flyers, and journey deep into the dirt with the help of some slimy guides. Look at the world from a bug’s perspective.
- Rainforest Roundup (August 19–23)
- Explore one of the earth’s most amazing ecosystems, and take a closer look at the animals and plants that call the rainforest home.
All Academy Explorers Camp families are invited to spend the night at the Academy during a campers-only Safari Overnight on September 7.
The Academy is conveniently located right in the heart of Center City, making pickup and drop-off a breeze for those who live (and work) in and around Philadelphia.
Registering is easy!
- Download the Registration Form. For each camper, please clearly and completely fill out the registration form, medical form, and permission and release form. Remember to sign each form. A Parent’s Guide is also available for download.
- Submit your registration and payment. All Academy Explorers registrations must be accompanied by a nonrefundable $100 deposit per week registered. Deposit does not apply to Tiny Tot registrations. You may submit your registration over the phone or by mail:
- By Phone: Call our Reservations Office at 215-299-1060 to pay with a credit card. You will then be asked to fax your completed forms to 215-405-1551.
- By Mail: Send the completed forms with a check made out to the Academy of Natural Sciences to:
Academy Explorers Camp
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Upon completion of your registration, you will receive a confirmation packet with additional information about camp as well as instructions for paying any balances.
If you have any questions about the registration process, please call 215-299-1060. For general questions, please contact Hollie Barattolo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-405-5061.
- Members pay $295 per camper per weekly session.
- Nonmembers pay $335 per camper per weekly session.
- Before-care (8–9 am) is $50 per camper per weekly session.
- After-care (4–5:30 pm) is $50 per camper per weekly session.
- Sign up and save!
- Sign up your child for one week of Academy Explorers Camp this summer at full price and get $25 off each additional week of camp you purchase for that child. Discount does not apply to Tiny Tot Explorers.
- ANSP members save even more!
- If you are interested in becoming a member of the Academy, check out our membership information or call us at 215-299-1022.
- SCOP Scholarships
- SCOP (Support Community Outreach Program) provides a full scholarship for one session of Academy Explorers Camp. Download the SCOP Scholarship Application for more information. Download the application here.
- Registration Form for Summer Academy Explorers Camp 2013
Parents Guide for Summer Academy Explorers Camp 2013
2013 Camp Brochure SCOP Scholarship Application