Real Science is real fun…
all summer long!
Academy Explorers Camp invites campers, ages 5-12 years old, to learn about natural science in a safe, fun, and engaging way. Each week of camp explores an exciting new theme and features an off-site field trip! From fossils to our extreme earth to amazing animals, check out our camp themes to find the best fit for your child’s interests.
Sign up early and save!
Early-bird Discount: Register BEFORE April 18 and receive $25 off each week of summer camp you purchase per child. (Early-bird Discount does not apply to Tiny Tot Explorers or Teen Camp and cannot be combined with additional discounts.)
Parents with younger children may want to consider Tiny Tot Explorers, a program for children ages 3–5.
Weekly Camp Themes for 2016
Click here to download the 2016 Camp Brochure
- Ooey Gooey Science (July 5–8)
- Get your hands dirty, slimy, and even ooey gooey! Create your own slime, hold touchable bubbles, squish sudsy goop, and design your very own lava lamp.
- Bizarre Animals (July 11–15)
- Discover what yellow spikes, gigantic eyes, and purple skin have in common. Uncover how jaw-dropping features and exaggerated adaptations help animal oddballs survive in the wild.
- Planet Dinosaur (July 18–22)
- Travel back in time to explore the world of dinosaurs during our hands-on activities. Have the opportunity to touch, work with, and uncover real fossils.
- The Art of Science (July 25–29)
- Learn that the greatest scientists were artists too! Observe Academy works held in our collection from contemporary to up-and-coming artists. Create your very own scientific work of art to display inside the museum too!
- Behind the Scenes (August 1–5)
- Unlock the secrets of the museum as you explore some rarely seen specimens in our collections and create your very own extraordinary museum exhibit.
- Animal Kingdom (August 8–12)
- Investigate animals from all over the world and discover how they survive in the wild. Share in animal wonders, gaze at the beauty, delight at the excitement, and show off your skills in our animal inspired games.
- Dino-lympics (August 15–19)
- Back by popular demand! Challenge yourself and discover how well you’d match up to a T. rex, Triceratops, or even the giant Dreadnoughtus.
- Animal Myths and Legends (August 22–26)
- Explore cryptozoology and uncover the truth about the real animals that inspire mythical beasts from all over the world.
- Backyard Adventures (August 29–September 2)
- Get a bee’s eye view, walk through all four seasons, visit the food web pond, play a game of plant versus insect, and create your very own garden. Learn that there is more in a backyard than you could have ever imagined!
The Academy is conveniently located right in the heart of Center City, making pickup and drop-off a breeze for those who live (and work) in and around Philadelphia.
Registering is easy!
Register online by clicking the button below.
- Download the Registration Form. For each camper, please clearly and completely fill out the registration form, medical form, and permission and release form. Remember to sign each form. A Parent’s Guide is also available for download.
- Submit your registration and payment. All Academy Explorers registrations must be accompanied by a nonrefundable $100 deposit per week registered. Deposit does not apply to Tiny Tot registrations. Balance in full is due by Friday, June 17, 2016. You may submit your registration over the phone or by mail:
- By Phone: Call our Reservations Office at 215-299-1060 to pay with a credit card. You will then be asked to fax your completed forms to 215-405-1551.
- By Mail: Send the completed forms with a check made out to the Academy of Natural Sciences to:
Academy Explorers Camp
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Return registration forms no later than Monday, June 27, 2016. Children will not be permitted at camp without a signed Medical, Permission, and Release form. Click the links below to print Academy Explorers Camp forms for 2015.
- Upon completion of your registration, you will receive additional information about camp as well as instructions for paying any balances.
- In the event of a registration cancellation, no refunds will be given after June 19th, 2015. Prior to June 19th, 2015, refunds may be given at the discretion of the Camp Coordinator.
If you have any questions about the registration process, please call 215-299-1060. For general questions, please contact Christine Danowsky at email@example.com or 215-299-3798.
- Members pay $320 per camper per weekly session.
- Nonmembers pay $360 per camper per weekly session.
- Before-care (8–9 am) is $50 per camper per weekly session.
- After-care (4–5:30 pm) is $50 per camper per weekly session.
- Early-bird Discount: Register BEFORE April 18 and receive $25 off each week of summer camp you purchase per child. (Early-bird Discount does not apply to Tiny Tot Explorers or Teen Camp and cannot be combined with additional discounts.)
- Academy members save even more!
- If you are interested in becoming a member of the Academy, check out our membership information or call us at 215-299-1022.
- SCOP Scholarships
- Occasionally a small number of scholarships are available through the generosity of SCOP (Support Community Outreach Program). Scholarships for 2015 are now closed.
- Registration Form for Summer Academy Explorers Camp 2016
Parents Guide for Summer Academy Explorers Camp 2016
2016 Camp Brochure