Door 19: Death and Taxidermy SOLD OUT
Thursday, October 24, 2019
6:00 PM-9:00 PM
Nothing is certain but death and tax…idermy! At the Academy, we’re no strangers to the most bizarre science that life (and death) have to offer.
At Door 19: Death and Taxidermy, explore our spookiest specimens and weirdest things in jars behind the scenes. Meet a couture taxidermist and a ghost hunting crew. Discover decomposition, practice preservation and geek out over gravestones. Come in costume or come as you are for a scarily fun evening featuring frightfully good food and an open bar.
- Toast to life and death at the open bar
- Scope out some eye of newt in our Herpetology Collection
- Explore some of our strangest stuff in our Exhibits Collection (open to the public for the first time in history!)
- Find out what it takes to compete as an award-winning taxidermist with Beth Beverly of Diamond Tooth Taxidermy
- Don’t get too spooked as the paranormal investigators from CCIPR show off their ghost hunting equipment and tell you their strange tales of otherworldly encounters
- Learn how you can rest in peace at the Woodlands Cemetery as a grave gardener
- Investigate specimen preservation and try your hand at mounting a few specimens yourself
Attend a fossil food chain potluck; BYOI (Bring Your Own Isotopes)
- Make macabre mounted butterfly wing art to display proudly in your (haunted?) house
- Dive deep into the world of decomposers as they munch on lunch before your eyes
- Ponder extinction in the special exhibit, Dinosaurs Around the World
- Embrace life out of the shadows in the Butterflies! exhibit
- Be struck by the impact of how the dinosaurs died (…by a meteor; get it?)
- Feast on fabulous fall favorites from our exclusive caterer, 12th Street Catering (vegetarian options available)
- And … did we mention the open bar?
THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT!
Stay tuned for details about our 2020 schedule of Door 19 events!
June 14 – October 8 - $65 Public/$55 Members/$60 Drexel Alumni
October 9 - October 15 - $75 Public/$65 Members/$65 Drexel Alumni
October 16 - October 24 - $85 Public/$65 Members/$65 Drexel Alumni
Click here for more details and to purchase tickets.
About Door 19
Knock 3.14159 times on Door 19 for admission to an oddly charming evening that will forever change how you think about science. Curated for the curious, Door 19 is quirky science meets themed soiree, set against a backdrop of live performances, music, potent libations, and dinosaurs.
For only four nights this year, you will have the chance to go beyond the galleries and into specimen collections off-limits to visitors, alongside experts who will bring our coolest specimens out to play. Our rogue scientists will go a little bit off script to share their most incredible knowledge—from creepy taxidermy to medicinal botanicals. You’ll be reminded that no, in fact, you haven’t seen it all—far from it.