Field Trip Planning Guide
Title 1 public schools in Philadelphia, Cheltenham, Hatboro-Horsham, Interboro, Norristown, Penn-Delco, and Souderton can receive a FREE visit to the Academy.
Booking your field trip to the Academy of Natural Sciences is easy! Here’s how.
- Choose your preferred dates and experiences: Self-guided Visit, Hands-on Gallery Program, or Discovery Lesson;
- Call 215-299-1060 or register online to complete your reservation;
- Check your mail in 2 to 3 weeks for a confirmation and schedule;
- Book your bus and recruit your chaperones.
Please allow at least 1 hour of free time to explore Dinosaur Hall, the changing exhibits hall, Science at the Academy, and the diorama halls of North America, Asia, and Africa.
To help you on the day of your visit, download the confirmation packet, which includes trip information and a schedule planner for your chaperones.
Funding for School buses available from US Airways Field Trip FUNd.
US Airways will grant schools up to $500 to cover transportation to the Academy.
Click here to apply and for more information.
School Group Admission & Program Fees
A $25 deposit is due at the time of booking. The deposit will count toward the total cost; your remaining balance is due upon arrival at the museum. If cancellations occur within two weeks of the trip, the $25 deposit will not be refunded. See cancellation policy below for more information.
- School Group Admission
$7 per person.*
- Basic + Butterflies!:
$8.50 per person.*
- *Additional fees required October 12, 2013–March 30, 2014.
- School Groups are defined as 10 or more students, ages 3 and up. Groups are required to provide at least one chaperone for every 10 students through grade 12. (Admission for the required minimum number of chaperones is free; additional adults will be charged.) Chaperones must be over 18 years old.
- October 12, 2013–March 30, 2014 ONLY
If you visit between October 12, 2013, and March 30, 2014, your students will experience a very special exhibit, Dinosaurs Unearthed. This exhibit features roaring, moving dinosaurs and compelling scenery from the days of the dinosaurs. Basic admission for all schools will increase during this time.
Basic plus Butterflies!
- Hand-on Gallery Programs
- Outside In (35 minutes):
$40 per program for 10-30 students
$75 per program for 31-60 students
- The Big Dig (20 minutes):
$30 per program for 10-30 students
$55 per program for 31-60 students
- Discovery Lessons
- Grades Pre-K-6 (35 minutes):
$75 per lesson for 10-30 students
- Grades 7-12 (60 minutes):
$120 per lesson for 10-30 students
- Please note that Discovery Lessons can be booked Tuesdays through Fridays. Discovery Lessons are only offered during the school year, September through June.
- Use the Group Entrance along the 19th Street side of the building. Academy staff will meet with you at the scheduled arrival time.
- Bus Parking:
- Buses can park for $20 per day, per bus at the Callowhill Bus Parking Facility at 2nd and Callowhill Streets in Philadelphia.
- Download the Bus Parking Directions.
- Download the Bus Parking Street Map.
- Cancellation Policy
- Payment for school group visits, including admission fees and program fees is due in full upon arrival. The museum reserves the right to turn away groups for insufficient funds. Cancellations must be made a minimum of 2 weeks prior to visit. Cancellations must be made a minimum of two weeks prior to visit. Cancellations within two weeks of your scheduled visit will still be charged a $25 fee PLUS the cost of any lessons and gallery program fees. Overpayments by check are refunded by check back to the original account. Museum Memberships cannot be combined with group visits. Other discounts, coupons, and affiliate memberships are not applicable with group admission.
- School groups MUST provide one chaperone (complementary admission) for every 10 students (or campers) through Grade 12. Chaperones must be over 18 years old. Additional chaperones will be charged the group admission rate.
- Download the Confirmation Packet for more information to give to your chaperones.
- Chaperones may also find the following exhibit guides useful: Africa and Asia Diorama Hall Activity Guide and North American Journey.
- A lunchroom is located in the Commons Room on the Ground Level. Lunchroom reservation is based on availability. There is a 30 minute time limit.
- Service Animals
- If your group will be accompanied by one or more service animals, please inform our Visitor Services Department in advance at email@example.com or 215-299-1000. This will help us decide which animals to select for your lessons or programs.
- Museum Hours:
- Monday–Friday: 10 am to 4:30 pm
Weekends and holidays: 10 am to 5 pm
Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day
If you have any questions, please contact the Reservations Office. Call 215-299-1060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.