Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is proactively committed to diversity and inclusion in all of its policies, practices and services. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the varied diversity and excellence of the academic community, and all of its complements.
How to Apply
Please submit your application online at www.drexeljobs.com.
Full Time Openings
Reports to: Manager of Public Engagement
The Butterfly Exhibit Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the success of all aspects of the Academy's indoor, year round, live butterfly exhibit. The two key focuses of the coordinator are: ensuring the health of the living butterflies, plants, and other species that live in the habitat; and ensuring the visitors have an engaging experience through interpretation and successful training of other staff and volunteers to interpret in the exhibit.
• Oversee all aspects of the Academy’s live butterfly exhibit, including daily maintenance and programming for the public.
• Select and maintain health of appropriate plant specimens in the exhibit to support the butterfly collection.
• Responsible for the husbandry of pupae and adult butterflies in the exhibit.
• Responsibility for the husbandry of other species housed in the exhibit, including poison dart frogs and a variety of invertebrate specimens.
• Administrative responsibilities including; internal and external correspondence, fiscal management, and ensuring that all USDA permit guidelines are adhered to.
• Working with Manager of Public Engagement, develop programming that meets museum educational and scientific standards of excellence.
• Act as interpreter for the general public
• Recruit, hire, train and supervise part-time staff and volunteers. Develop training material to support and interpret exhibit to the public.
• Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Manager of Public Engagement
• Bachelor's Degree in education or science field or Associates Degree with 5 years’ experience
• At least 2 yrs experience training and supervising staff/volunteers
• At least 2 years maintaining live invertebrate collection
• Significant horticultural and invertebrate husbandry knowledge preferred
• Valid driver’s license
• Ability to lift 40 lbs.
• Public speaking skills
• Computer skills- word, excel, outlook
• Evenings and weekends required
• Must pass criminal history background check and child abuse history clearances.
• Some weekend and evening work required
Reports to: WINS Manager
Summary:The Academy of Natural Sciences is Philadelphia's Natural History Museum and the oldest continuously operating natural science research institution in the Americas. The Academy’s Women In Natural Sciences (WINS) program is an extra-curricular science enrichment program for female high school students, focusing on ecology and the natural sciences..
The Academy is seeking a full-time WINS Program Coordinator to develop and implement activities that support WINS students’ academic and personal development and provide general support for the WINS program.
- Coordinate an after school science enrichment program for approx. 70 Philadelphia public and charter high school girls;
- Assist in development, update and implementation of science-based lessons and workshops for grade 9-12 students, including day, weekend, and week-long programs.
- Manage WINS nomination and application process, student interviews, & selection.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with participants, parents, school district personnel, and community members
- Provide administrative support for manager including internal and external correspondence, ordering/picking up supplies, etc.
- Chaperone college tours and overnight science enrichment trips.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as specified by WINS Manager and/or Sr. Director of Education
- Bachelor’s degree in ecology, environmental sciences, environmental education, or related field.
- 2-years minimum experience developing programs for urban teens and knowledge of the principles of inquiry-based education.
- Knowledgeable on college selection and financial aid options.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and Internet.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Candidates will be efficient, flexible, personable, creative and able to relate to urban teens.
- Excellent organizational skills are essential.
- Able to hike 5 miles in different terrains and variety of weather
- Able to pack and lift 30 lbs
- Valid driver’s license and 3 year clean driving record required.
- Must pass Child Abuse background check.
- Availability for weekend trips and overnights is a must.
- The Position is a Tuesday to Saturday position.
- Some travel and overnights and week-long stays
Part Time Openings
Reports to: Manager of Museum Education
Part-time Educators will interact with visitors at the Academy of Natural Sciences through hands-on experiments, engaging activities, and simple arts and crafts. Part-time Educators also have the option of becoming part of the corps of Teacher Naturalists who present the Academy’s live animal collection during animal encounters.
Range of Duties:
- Actively engage visitors of all ages in learning science
- Read and retain procedures and background information for a variety of programs (including educational tables and carts, games and activities, crafts, small and large group shows, etc.) for presentation in the museum and on educational outreach
- Learn to handle the Academy’s live invertebrate collection for education purposes (optional)
- Learn to handle the Academy’s live vertebrate collection (including mammals, reptiles, and birds) for education purposes (optional)
- Monitor supplies and report shortages and missing/broken pieces
- Follow the published staffing schedule as well as the museum schedule of events
- Work cooperatively with a diverse museum education
- Weekend/evening work required
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned
- All applicants must pass Child Abuse Clearance and Criminal Background Checks
- Excellent public speaking, organizational, and customer service skills required
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Strong background in the natural sciences
- Experience teaching/supervising all ages, preferably in an informal education setting
- Ability to follow instructions and work with minimal supervision